Friday 13 January 2012

HE- Our Style

 A lot of conversation about HE often focuses on style- do you Waldorf? do you AE? Montessori? Classical? Well I'm more of a mix & match girl- I like natural things/seasons and gentle stuff but we do watch the TV (selected) and I do turn it off when I say, we do have toys and some are even plastic (haven't found wooden lego or playmobil yet). My children have all attended our local mainstream Playgroup and have claimed 'vouchers'- although never a 'full' allowance. I do have an expectation that things move forward- but am open to negotiation and target setting- maybe its my nursing background but I'm a great believer in 'one size does NOT fit all'- am aready finding that approaches that worked a treat for SJ- go down like a lead balloon for Miss Looby.
Anyway above photo demonstrates a great HE day- all credit to daddy! Suggestion....."lets cook on a fire", collecting and preparing site, helping make a tripod, collecting big pan from grandparents, starting fire, making seating area and eating yummy boston beans(ish) and on the way discussing fire triangles, fire safety, cooking as well as a little concurrent gardening.
They have also joined a HE session at our local climbing centre- twill be interesting to see how that progresses. It is the first session that we have really made a commitment to attending as I tend to like to leave things fairly fluid- dependent on how co-operative the (big) toddler is- but he is actually at his Playgroup over this session which I think will work quite well........
The other position I/we often find ourself in- we frequently just sit down with an ecletic pile of  books and children come and go as their interest wanes (although I don't usually carry on by myself!!). We have BOOKS (I'm sorry to say that I can't reconcile with the simplicity parenting view on books-even if most else makes great sense- even though I don't necessarily follow to the letter) a huge mish mash of inherited, charity shop/ car boot and a fair few new (thanks to the Book People), a mixture of classics, contemporary child fiction, non-fiction, texts, activity books, a few readers. I do pre read most- and some do go straight back to the charity shop (TV related), some are tolerable and accepted due to avoiding peer pressure scenarios (Rainbow Fairies/Astrosaurs) and some are essential reading- Roahl Dahl, Enid Blyton, Artemis Fowl etc. We do use the library- but we have so much at home that I may give it a rest for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment