Sunday 1 January 2012

A Years Review


External- 2011- The year that saw
  • A dissertation completed and the COURSE finished and our Daddy returned- HURRAH!!
  • Plodding at my workplace- but plodding is fine- hang on a minute- No I'm being unfair to myself- I've actually done a huge amount of transport- including some really complicated stabilisation with multiple procedures. I've broken my Longline hang-up (maybe??), put in chest drains confidently and intubated anything that needed it- so pretty OK actually
  • SJ has become a competent reader who is starting to realise this and explore it more. He loves Beavers and is collecting badges.
  • FI has finished Playgroup and become officially HE and is also progressing in her own different way. Her stabilisers are off, she has taken her first ballet exam and participated at her first real Theatre Show.
  • TP is a noise monster who is undeniably cute asd well as being frightfully annoyingly frustratingly aggghhhh! He loves Playgroup and has started a couple of his own acivities- swimming and trampolining.
  • We have enjoyed Family Holidays to Somerset, Derbyshire and Lapland!! Birthdays have been celebrated mainly with Family Days Out and we have joined English Heritage.
Internal 2011
  • I have learnt an awful lot about my approach to HE and parenting- as they can't really be separated. We use a mixture of approaches (ie the 'whatever works for us on the day approach')- but seem to be moving a lot more autonomous- especially since SJ will initiate a fair few things himself- I am also a great believer in strewing and suggestion.
  • We probably watch a little more TV than I am happy with (compared to 'my' standard- rather than national average!) but then an awful lot less outside of winter- so it probably balances out. But then it is a BH today and there is some good stuff on and maybe I should chill out a bit -rather than measuring by the last week or so........
  • I need to get past my 'we should be doing something' panic- just because the children are playing at something which doesn't seem obviously educational- I Should celebrate the ability to move away and do things when they don't need me rather than feeling defunct and guilty that they are not achieving educational targets!
  • We have come to realise that we are feeling ready to move out of this house- we would like a little more usable garden, I would like the caravan back with us rather than having to pay a small fortune for storage. I would like the children- especially FI, to have her own space- they love sharing their bedroom but she need her own toy space where she can arrange herself without TP racing through.....
  • I am happy working and we certainly like the things that the extra money can buy for us ( we also ensure we see this as 'extra' money rather than integral money) but I wish that we had more time together as a family. Because we don't have any childcare arrangements they get lots of 'mummy + kids' and a fair amount of 'daddy + kids' but not so much mummy + daddy + kids time....
  • The other consequence of above is that household stuff falls by the wayside- and if we want to sell then we need to finish ongoing stuff before we can freshen up for the market.
  • And finally, in me, I have come to realise that I have put myself last for soooo long- I get dry skin as I never get around to putting face cream on- I forget to clean my teeth in the morning- I eat rubbish sometimes and probably drink too much tea. Exercise has tailed off (hard to do brisk walk when you need to go at toddler waddle) etc- and I am feeling the net effects of this. I think I have felt a little down this year- a combination of above and feeling a lack of direction/ feeling of merely treading water- I need to address this and move forwards. I have realise that some of the blahness that I feel can be addressed by colour and lovely small objects that make me smile....
 ......A new hot water bottle......... (my previous was coming up for 20 yrs old)
 .....One or two new bits on the tree- a GP swap owl (so cute!!), a reindeer from lapland, and the cute fat robin- who called to me- as well as the plain felt hearts (which I may decorate next year)....
.....A lovely tin which had LebKuchen in from a German friend (why don't biscuit tins in this country look like this)- I know I can find a use for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment