Sunday 20 February 2011

And chicken pox came to visit......

And here I had all good intentions of keeping up with the blogging this year......
Chicken pox has run amok in the household ( as beautifully demonstrated by a recovering SJ above). Started by FI- from beloved playgroup and then the boys went down 12 days later. Started off as quite amusing- in the context that I had dealt with Felicitys pox whilst Mark started a stretch at work- so he missed out. Then at the start of my four day stretch at work Mark texted me to say SJ had spots then two hours later to say that TP had them too- so I was fully expecting to have 'missed' the process- however on the Wednesday TP was really poorly with (literally)black spots and raging temperatures and a reddening ear and orbits- on the Thursday we decided that he was at the limits of our ( 1 ICU nurse practitioner, 1 A&E NP) professional comfort (with the very limited home drug cupboard!) and we were admitted to hospital that afternoon for high dose IV antibiotics and close observation. I don't like giving antibiotics lightly but my slowly mottling child persuaded me otherwise!!!
Anyway I have a private little photo on my phone to remind me how sick he got- and to not take my kids for granted........a reminder of how we take our health for granted.
Anyway back to family- Sjs 'flowers' above were done as a present for my cousin who had lost her beloved dog Ceri. We are not great doggie people- but Ceri was more than just a dog- absolutely trustworthy with small children (and that coming from the most cynical dog/child mixer). Felicity made her a 'handbag' ( decorated paper envelope) and they came up with some beautiful words between them- showing a real understanding that surprised me. We have always talked to them about death- especially in the context of what we both do for a living- especially mine being related to babies- they have an understanding that even young people can die. SJ is adament that they go off to heaven- even though that one hasn't necessarily come from me- as I am open verdict on that one!

Doesn't look much- but this is a totally self-directed craft project- done by teamwork (hence the dual pose)- a sword made from the Beastquest annual ( a new year £1 bargain that has so far produced an awful lot of self-directed activity!!!)- bless them- they got it soo far then came to ask me what the newpaper strips bit meant ( was supposed to be covered in paper mache) and meanie mummy said no ( well I could hear Tristan waking- and in my book paper mache is a summer outdoor activity not to be combined with a rampaging two year old??

Beloved play group and self directed play- apparently once Felicity had produced her robot- a craze caught on and a run on the cereal boxes was made!!
Well another epic- really need to get back to the small but often posts - so that they are shorter and don't take half of my precious evenings- then I will be more motivated to do them more frequently!!
Currently fighting the conscience are a pile of books- some parenting, some educational, some activity preparation ( I don' t timetable -but I do 'strew' or suggest things- things often then evolve into a new activity altogether- SJ has his eye on a cardboard castle model from a library book at the mo- it is making me turn pale at the thought-very complicated assembly!!!). I could add my work books to the pile ( I always have further reading I could do)- but they are soo far down the list I just forget them!! Am trying to get going with the crafting again- have managed to move my crochet on to a new level- pattern following and circular (3D even) and am toying with the idea of making them each a chick for Easter -trying to be realistic here- so we will see. Would like to try soem feltinga and would also like to make some things for the season table. Have a few novels waying me down, need to plan our front garden, declutter motivate and lose some weight and improve my fitness- gosh am setting myself up for failure


1 comment: